Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Old and Chippy, the Old Fashioned Way

I absolutely love the look of something old and chippy... but even more so, if it's authentic. 

I do love the texturing and treatments most artists use, but something has to be said for raw beauty from a time-worn piece. This lovely door was found in my Father-in-law's shed and, of course, he said I could have it!  That man is the most generous, benevolent person I have ever known. 

Alfred Riley has been a long-time supporter of widows and orphans.  In his journey as a carpenter, he would replace old doors and windows with new ones and on these projects he would ask for the old items instead of taking them to the dump.  Later, when a less fortunate family needed a door or window, he had them.  So...if you are in true need of something, just ask and he'll be there.

And the next most kind-hearted is this guy right here!


 
 
Jim Riley has been right by my side on my projects and even sparks up his own plans from time to time!  He can make just about anything. I love his way and love his golden heart!  Can't wait for the next project we do.  We thought we would need to paint this door, but as he spray washed it, the top layer started chipping away and a subtle blue emerged.
 
For the rail, we looked up sliding-door rails and wow! they were expensive for this country girl.  So...in true Jim Riley (Riley Riggin) style, he created his own version of the rail by using a bed rail, some purchased wheels and small attachments.  I absolutely love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment