Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Bed Spring Organization

Hey, hey, hey!

Finished a new project today and  I love the result!  I've been wading in my craft room looking for supplies for a while now and realized I'm spending more time trying to find what I need than actually working on my projects.  I'm sure you've never done that!

I found a space behind the door that I wanted to tackle first and thought a wall organizer would do the trick.  Had to take three photos to try to capture the finished product because after it was mounted, the space was minimal for me to widen my view...the wall was so obstructive!  Duh!  Anyway, here it is! 


I actually emptied three plastic boxes of tools and now have them organized here!  I could never find my markers and now all I have to do is look behind the door to find them.  I have four tape measures and barely found one for this photo....so now when I run across them, I can put them up here.  So handy!  I'm sure the organizer will evolve over time, especially as I add more organizing stations within the room.  What I like about this finished product is that I can now see things instead of them being boxed up.




Because of this project, I actually ordered some new paint and brushes.  Go me!  Any excuse to get more craft tools is a good one, right?  They are in the mail.  After finding some paint and decoupage, I found out I had enough product for these pictures.  I'm still gettin' the new stuff, though!  Just sayin'



The best part of this project is that it was so inexpensive.  I normally sell items on the local online auction, but this time, I ran across a vintage baby bed for sale, so for $4.50, I got it!  I have already designated the other pieces for two more projects, so this one had a total cost to me of $1.50!  Whoohoo!!!  I love saving money and getting what I want at the same time!  Take a look at the inspiration organizer I found online.   Wow, just wow!  Why are things so expensive!  I liked the look of having things readily available for crafting.  It's clean and neat, but not a hundred dollar bill neat!  

So let's go through the steps...  I started by just cleaning up the piece.  I used some sandpaper and a soft dry rag.  There were a couple of rusty spots and a little dust, but overall it was in great shape.  I had to take off the little metal pieces that attached to the frame...didn't need them.  What do you do when you can't find a flathead screw driver in the house?  Return to your "rigging" roots (we call it Riley Riggin' here!) and use a butter knife!  






I delayed working on this project because I didn't have any spray paint.  Well, I had black and white....but I wanted a color.  Something to contrast with the white wall.  My Mom is homebound, so that pretty much makes me homebound too.  I can make quick runs to the local stores, but I needed to go out of town to get what I wanted.  It finally dawned on me to use what I have!!  That's what upcycling is all about and keeping the cost down is a cool challenge to me!
  



So what did I have?  Small bottles of acrylic paint and not in the color (green or blue) that I wanted.  I had a dark purple and pink though.  So I put that together in my recycled butter dish and made a lavender color.  I wasn't sure it the metal springs would accept the color , especially with a brush, but had a willingness to try it out.  It worked!  It's a soft color with a soft texture; no gloss.  Perfect!  



With the background set, I had to get into the details of how to use this piece as an organizer.  I rummaged around the house and found only a few pieces of hardware to utilize.  We had an auction in 2017 and sold all our bits and pieces.  Uhggg!  So, scraping by, I found some cool little things to use and then as I went along, I found more.  Funny how that happens





During this project, I learned something about myself.  I'm hardware challenged.  I mean....really hardware challenged.  This was such a great exercise pushing my abilities!  I had no idea how to attached the knobs and handles and first tried string!  HAHAHA  Hey, it was tight and worked, but I'm pretty sure it was wrong....just wrong.  Thankfully, I have two sisters who coached me along on how to attached all the "things."  I hung on to the conversation trying to figure out this hardware language one of my sisters spoke!  I finally broke down and started asking all the stupid questions, like what's an eye screw. 



Upcycling is a "frame" of mind.  I hope you're using what "springs" up (pun intended)!  Please send me a comment below to let me know what you think of this idea or show me pictures of your project.


No comments:

Post a Comment