Pages

Monday, March 11, 2019

China Hutch Update


I loved the bones on this sturdy piece when my husband brought it home from a local auction.  I debated on the color, keeping in mind the color of things I wanted to display.  I picked this dark blue.




The lighting makes it difficult to get a great photo, so I hope you can see it okay.  The window streams the light heavy on one side.




I went with Renaissance Chalk Paint in Ultramarine 27.  After wiping down the entire hutch and making sure all the gummy parts from who knows what were gone, I was ready to dive in.  The paint instructions read that there was no need to sand anything.  




The paint went on so smooth, I just fell in love with it immediately!




It also dried quickly.




Once the first coat was on, I knew I had picked the right color for me. 




I used a satin white paint inside the cabinet.  Just thought it would be easier to see down there!  I had to do several coats of the white, but only two coats of the blue.  I didn't take any hardware off...just painted right over everything!

After the paint was dried good, I buffed off the high points of the paint and dry brushed on some touches of white to give it the weathered look.  I used a wet cloth and sandpaper.  I went in with a black wax around the edges and grooves, then a clear wax on the flat areas.




The wax really deepened up the color!



I just love the little piece that folds out for serving!  It's in perfect working condition!




I gathered some white, yellow and clear vintage items to finish it up.  Tried to use some Spring inspired items!







This is my first large piece of furniture.  I hope you enjoyed!




No comments:

Post a Comment