Pages

Friday, June 7, 2019

How to Make T-Shirt Yarn

What's your system for dealing with unwanted clothing?  We just had a yard sale, so I pulled some items from our drawers and closets to sell. $$ Ka-Ching! What didn't sell, went to the local Goodwill donation center.

While finding things for the sale, I also found things I didn't think would ever sell!  Some of our t-shirts had holes and stains and surely nobody would ever want anything like that, so I put them in a separate pile.  

Now that the yard sale is over, I got back to the pile.  Normally, I use old beat-up shirts for rags, but I have plenty of those, so I went a different route this time - t-shirt yarn!  My Granddaughter and I had a big time with this project yesterday.  Look at her go!  All we need now is a bigger crochet hook and I'll be set for some cool t-shirt yarn projects!




Let's run through the steps so you can get this free crafting resource!

Step 1:  Fold your t-shirt in half (down the middle) and cut off the top right below the arms.  Also cut off the bottom hem.




Step 2:  Fold the remaining t-shirt fabric almost in half, leaving about two inches difference.  To make my life easier, I folded it twice, with one side two inches longer.  The fold is on the length of the fabric again, leaving raw edges on opposite ends.  It's okay if it's a little uneven. 


Step 3:  Cut about 3/4 to 1 inch strips from one of the raw edged through the thickest folds, leaving the two inches (and last fold) alone.  Continue cutting until you reach the other raw edge.  I got a little excited and ended up with a heap at the end!




Step 4:  Find the fold that you left uncut and open it up.  From the first cut, continue cutting while crossing over the second cut on the opposite side (diagonally).  It was easier for me to do this cut first, then I cut from the edge to the first cut - see picture.  Continue on cutting diagonally from one cut to the other.  By the end, I had another giant heap!  haha  After finding the end, I was able to see I had one continuous stream about 3/4 to 1 inch wide.






Step 5:  Pull the continuous stream of fabric, stretching it just a bit.  When you let go, the edges are curled together making a thick material to make things with.





Step 6:  Roll it up into a ball.



Step 7 (optional):  I like using up everything I can, so I cut the sleeves and back off as well.  Use the fronts too, if it doesn't have a heavy screen print or iron on.  With these pieces, I couldn't get a continuous stream like I did on the big part of the t-shirt, so I went for shorter strands.  I don't know what I'll use them for yet, but I have them....just in case!  








I hope you can use this short tutorial!  More importantly, I hope you recycle and upcycle your waste!  Turn your Peptalk on and get going!  If we all continue to make small differences in our lives, together, we'll make a big difference!  

No comments:

Post a Comment