Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

Trunk Turned Coffee Table with Storage



Check out this fun project I've been working on all week!  It's a coffee table on wheels with some neat storage for all those items that can clutter a room!  I had so much fun painting, assembling and lining this piece!   



I started with an old trunk Mr. Amazing found at an auction here in our home town.  To be honest, I didn't know what in the world I was going to do with it!  It had a bold blue vinyl covering with some bruised and battered gold trim.  Keeping with the funky style the inside was made up of ugly brown particle board!





I started by cleaning the entire trunk and then giving the whole thing a good priming with an all-purpose white primer.



Then it took a day, some "manly tools" and a little assistance to attach the wheels and make the upper tray.  


Once the main additions were in place, I moved forward with some paint.  I added some white for another good undercoating then used an aged painting technique in a duck-egg blue.


My favorite part (and my first try at something like this) was lining the inside of the lid!


I still can't believe how easy it was to line the fabric up to the inside lip.  I had planned on using a thin piece of cardboard to pull the fabric around for a straight edge, but because I used a good cotton fabric, it wasn't necessary.

Next, I added some stenciling and then finished it off with a good black wax to continue the aging process.  The waxing was so easy, I let my Grandson have a go at it too!



Since I don't refinish much furniture, this project was a joy to work on!  I'm so pleased with the finished product. 








2 comments:

  1. Great upcycle project! That's fun that your grandson helped work on waxing it, too. Old trunks are wonderful storage, aren't they? I have a thing for trunks and worked on a couple of oldies from our family back when we were first married.

    Happily pinned for you. <3
    Enjoy your trunk,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, thank you for your comment! I very much loved working on this project!

    ReplyDelete